Thursday, June 07, 2012

a change of plans.. for the better!!

Oh wow.

Not too long ago, I went through my blog to clean it up, and fix some broken links and I stumbled across this post from last year. Wow. First of all, it's super vague. But because I know what I was talking about (muahahaha), it makes for a really interesting reflection activity.

At about this time last year, I had just finished my first year of university. It was both an amazing experience, but also the toughest, most lonely and trying period of my life. I studied general sciences in my first year and to be completely honest, I finished the year super stressed out and crying to my mom almost every day (exaggeration, as I only talk to my mom once a week). In short, I was not doing well in my classes, nor was I enjoying them.

In any case, I had lost sight of what I wanted to do, why I was at university, and what my overall direction was. With the support of my mom, I started exploring many many different schooling options, unsure of my intention to return to Queen's.

One of my top options in terms of interests, was the Graphic Communications Management program at Ryerson.. seriously, sounds so cool! It's a mix of graphic design/communications and business. The one thing that I truly loved in high school was working on the yearbook, where I was the creative and layout editor. And I follow so many design blogs it's not even funny. Graphic design is something I have little experience in, but something I definitely want to explore as a hobby. (Sidenote: Last summer I got to shadow the graphic design team at Health Canada, where I was working. They create all the graphics you see, from brochures, to banners, to website buttons, etc etc etc. I actually got to see the new cigarette pack labels before they were released. The ones that cover 50% of the packaging? Yep. I learned a lot!!)

And other than that, I was also considering Health Science/Business Major/Minor, or a degree in Communications at uOttawa.

But you know what? After taking a good mix of health and business courses this year, I discovered that business is NOT for me. However, health certainly is. I fell in love with my courses, and the only thing I care to read about in the news deals with health policies and certain interesting socioeconomic links to health. That's what I'm interested in.

Looking back, something I can clearly see is how much I've been growing in my faith. I can really see how God used my situation to direct me to where I am now. He drew me into my community and family at my fellowship in Kingston, where I found a place I could grow. For that, I am so grateful. In the past two years, I have gained so much more than I ever could without Him. It is with much difficulty, but much joy and relief that I have been praying and trusting that God will lead me to find something that I am truly passionate about, willing to spend my time doing and above all, aligns with God's will and desire for me. Praise the Lord for that!

And so, I chose to change my plan from Biology (I took zero biology courses last year, hahaha!) to Health Studies. It means that I have to take a fifth year of undergrad, but that is totally fine. I'd way rather take an extra year of something I like, than finish on time studying something I don't like. I applied to change programs almost a month ago now, and it was supposed to take 10 days to process, but now 24 days later (so long!), I've been accepted!!

IT'S OFFICIAL!!!!!!


(Thanks to everyone and anyone who has put up with my stress, complaining, whining, lack of emotion or whatever as I tried to figure out my life a little. It's been a weird journey, but we're here and ready to roll. Thank you for all the support!)

2 comments: