Wednesday, June 20, 2012

let's run!

Last week, I ran. That in itself is an accomplishment! For reals! I don't run, it gives me stitches, I feel like I can't breathe, and it just makes me want to lie on the road and die there. That is a bit of an exaggeration, but you can see what I'm getting at here..

But for the National Public Servants Week, Health Canada organized a 10K relay of 5x2K runs. I signed myself up on my office team, and figured that 2K is very doable and is a good place to start! I ran with my coworkers who are way more fit than I am (which is sad because I am half the age of some of them). I run on treadmills, but road running is so much more different than in the gym. The treadmill paces me, and I can totally zone out and have no idea how far I've run so I can typically keep going. But on the road, somehow 2K felt more like a marathon.

Here's the team, getting ready to run in the rain!

So, I know 2K is not a very amazing distance, but to me, it is something. I participated in my first run, and I am so proud that I challenged myself!

Slow and steady wins the race. As long as I finish, I am happy. Here's to the start of my running career!

No comments:

Post a Comment