Monday, October 08, 2012

a thankful heart.

It is not surprising that some of my favourite verses in the Bible are about being thankful.. God calls us to be thankful.. a lot!
Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever! (Psalm 107:1)
Whether you are in a period of your life that is super wonderful and overflowing with goodness, or if you feel like you're just getting by, or if you're just not having the greatest time and it feels like life is just kicking you in the butt all the time... we all have something to be thankful for. It might not be obvious, but it's there.

I have a tendency to see what I don't have. I see holes. This Thanksgiving, my mom is away on a business trip. My family doesn't do turkey. I don't have a huge family to do a giant festive Thanksgiving dinner... etc etc etc. I just don't have the typical Thanksgiving experience that so many people do. But hey, I'm coming to terms with it and it's okay. I love my family all the same. We may not hug, we may not express affection, we may not even tell each other we are thankful or that we love each other. But we're always there for one another, and I know that.
Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)
This Thanksgiving, I went home and had a peaceful weekend, which I am very much grateful for. I'm sure I could have gotten a lot more work done than I did get done, but it was nice to be able to rest up, get laundry done and relax in the comfort of my home (and in my lovely double bed where I can stretch out so much more than on my single bed in Kingston..!!!).

I had a few plans for this weekend, all of which fell through. But it's okay, I really do think I needed the rest. I was getting a little burnt out and my many many many hours of sleep have been absolutely wonderful.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I hope you all take a moment to give thanks for all that you have. Even through the bad, have faith that God will use you and lead you somewhere, somehow. He has it all figured out.

No comments:

Post a Comment